Do you grind your teeth? Do you clench your jaw? Also known as bruxism, grinding and clenching your teeth can damage your smile and increase your risk of developing serious medical issues such as TMJ disorder or sleep apnea. For patients looking for the latest treatments for bruxism, help is just around the corner. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, provide a fun and informative quiz to help explain the causes and symptoms of bruxism and what you can do to stop grinding your teeth.
Teeth Grinding Quiz
1. True or False: Many people are unaware that they grind their teeth.
2. True or False: Jaw pain, toothaches, and headaches are all symptoms of teeth grinding.
3. True or False: Bruxism can damage your teeth.
4. True or False: Your Livingston general dentists treat bruxism with an oral appliance.
Teeth Grinding Answer Key
1. True. Unfortunately, most people grind their teeth during sleep. As a result, many don’t seek immediate treatment for the myriad of painful symptoms.
2. True. When you grind their teeth, excess strain is placed on the jaw joints, causing a variety of painful symptoms, such as: headaches, earaches, face pain, jaw pain, and toothaches.
3. True. If left untreated, teeth grinding leads to cracked or chipped teeth and can even wear down your teeth.
4. True. Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom may recommend a special oral appliance to address your teeth grinding. Similar to a mouth guard, this intraoral device prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, ending bruxism and easing the painful symptoms of teeth grinding.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston General Dentists
Do you grind or clench your teeth? Interested in our innovative treatments for eliminating bruxism? Then contact your Livingston general dentists. Schedule a consultation with your Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom today for a diagnosis and to discuss treatment options. We offer our patients the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.