Do you suffer from bruxism? Millions of people routinely grind or clench their teeth. While most would consider this issue a mild irritant, grinding your teeth can eventually damage your smile and increase the risk of serious dental problems, such as tooth decay and gum disease. Fortunately, at The Silverstrom Group, we offer treatment to address teeth grinding. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, uses a fun quiz to discuss the causes of bruxism.
Teeth Grinding Quiz
1. True or False: There are multiple factors that can lead to bruxism.
2. True or False: Toothaches and jaw pain are common symptoms of teeth grinding.
3. True or False: Without treatment, bruxism can damage your smile.
4. True or False: With an intraoral device, your Livingston NJ general dentists can ease symptoms of bruxism.
1. True. People may begin grinding their teeth as a result of increased stress. Other common causes of bruxism include bite misalignment, the use of certain antidepressants, and medical complications resulting from disorders such as Huntington’s or Parkinson’s disease.
2. True. Other signs of bruxism include: Chronic headaches, tooth sensitivity, and worn down teeth.
3. True. Teeth may become cracked, chipped, or even worn down. When this occurs, the outer enamel is compromised and unable to protect the sensitive inner tooth structure from bacteria. Soon, patients may develop TMJ disorder, tooth decay, or gum disease, threatening the stability of their smile.
4. True. Similar to a night guard, this dental device prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, ending episodes of teeth grinding.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston NJ General Dentists
Bruxism can damage your smile and hinder your dental health. If you are exhibiting one or more symptoms of teeth grinding, then talk to yourLivingston NJ general dentists today. Drs. David and Gary Silverstrom will assess the cause and severity of your bruxism and recommend treatment. At The Silverstrom Group, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform the health and beauty of our patients’ smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.