Do you ever notice a popping or crackling sensation in your jaw? Do you also suffer from frequent headaches or ear pain? You may be experiencing the common symptoms of a serious medical issue. In the United States, over 10 million people exhibit the painful symptoms of TMJ disorder, also known as TMD. Fortunately, treatment is available. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, provide a fun and informative quiz to discuss the causes of TMD and offer comfortable and minimally invasive treatment options.
TMJ Disorder Quiz
1. True or False: TMJ disorder occurs when excessive strain is placed on the temporomandibular joints.
2. True or False: Stress on your jaw joints can be caused by a variety of factors.
3. True or False: There are many TMD-related aches and pains.
4. True or False: With one treatment option, your Livingston general dentists can address both bruxism and TMD symptoms.
TMJ Disorder Quiz Answer Key
1. True. These jaw joints connect the jaw to the skull. They also control all movement of the jaw, including the actions necessary to eat and chew. When too much stress is placed on the jaw joints, patients experience a litany of painful symptoms.
2. True. The three most common causes of TMJ disorder include: bite misalignment, trauma to the jaw or face, and teeth grinding, also known as bruxism.
3. True. Patients often report toothaches, headaches, earaches, jaw pain, neck and shoulder pain, and a popping sensation in their jaw.
4. True. With a special intraoral device similar to a mouth guard, Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom can help ease your TMJ symptoms. The oral appliance repositions the jaw to correct misalignment. The intraoral device also prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, eliminating bruxism.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston General Dentists
How well did you do on our quiz? Interested in learning more about our treatment options for TMD? Then contact your Livingston general dentists today. We offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.