Do you experience frequent headaches? What about a popping or clicking sensation in the jaw? If so, you may be suffering from a serious, but common, issue known as TMJ disorder, or TMD. TMJ disorder affects over ten million Americans. Thankfully, at The Silverstrom Group, we offer comfortable and minimally invasive treatment for TMD-related symptoms. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, explain the link between headaches and TMD.
TMJ Disorder Quiz
1. True or False: TMJ disorder affects the jaw joints.
2. True or False: Headaches and jaw pain are common symptoms of TMD.
3. True or False: Bruxism and malocclusion are factors that cause TMJ disorder.
4. True or False: Your Livingston NJ cosmetic dentists offer treatment for TMD.
1. True. TMJ disorder occurs when excessive strain is placed on the temporomandibular joints. These joints connect the jaw to the skull and control all jaw movement, including the motions necessary to eat or speak.
2. True. Other symptoms of TMD include: Neck pain, shoulder pain, earaches, migraines, tinnitus, and toothaches.
3. True. Both bite misalignment and bruxism, or teeth grinding, place stress on the jaw joints, increasing the risk of developing TMD.
4. True. After evaluating the severity of your TMJ disorder, your Livingston dentists may recommend an intraoral device. Similar to a night guard, this dental device is worn during sleep. The oral appliance repositions the jaw to address misalignment. The appliance also prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, eliminating teeth grinding episodes.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston NJ Cosmetic Dentists
Do you suffer from TMD-related headaches? Then talk to youLivingston NJ general dentists today. Drs. David and Gary Silverstrom will assess the cause and severity of your TMJ disorder and recommend treatment. At The Silverstrom Group, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform the health and beauty of our patients’ smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.