In the United States, millions of people routinely grind their teeth. What causes teeth grinding? Will bruxism damage your smile? Thankfully, at The Silverstrom Group, we offer comfortable and minimally invasive treatment options for addressing bruxism. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, provide a fun and informative quiz to discuss the causes of teeth grinding and offer treatment options.
Teeth Grinding Quiz
1. True or False: Teeth grinding can be caused by stress.
2. True or False: There are a variety of symptoms of bruxism.
3. True or False: If left untreated, teeth grinding can lead to a serious medical disorder.
4. True or False: Your Livingston NJ general dentists offer an oral appliance to ease teeth grinding.
1. True. One of the major causes of bruxism is an increase in daily anxiety.
2. True. People often only grind their teeth at night and may not be aware they suffer from bruxism. There are multiple symptoms to watch for, including: sore jaw, headaches, toothaches, tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, neck and should pain, and earaches.
3. True. In addition to increasing the risk of wearing down, cracking, or chipping teeth, bruxism may lead to TMJ disorder, or TMD. This medical issue develops when excessive strain is placed on the jaw joints. Patients may soon experience pain when eating, talking, or even yawning.
4. True. A splint, similar to a mouth guard, may be prescribed to end your teeth grinding. The oral appliance prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, easing bruxism-related symptoms.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston NJ General Dentists
How well did you do? If you would like to learn more about our treatment options for teeth grinding, talk to you Livingston NJ general dentists today. Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom can diagnose the cause and severity of your bruxism and recommend the most appropriate treatment. At The Silverstrom Group, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.