Across America, millions of people are struggling to sleep. In fact, over 12 million people in the United States suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. This serious and widespread medical disorder leaves people sleep deprived and unable to function properly at work or school. Thankfully, treatment for sleep apnea is available from The Silverstrom Group. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, provide a simple quiz to help explain the causes of sleep apnea and discuss treatment options.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Quiz
1. True or False: Sleep apnea causes patients to stop breathing during sleep.
2. True or False: Common symptoms of sleep apnea include snoring.
3. True or False: Sleep apnea increases the risk of serious health disorders.
4. True or False: Your Livingston general dentists offer a minimally invasive treatment option or sleep apnea.
OSA Quiz Answer Key
1. True. With sleep apnea, the soft tissue in the back of the throat blocks airflow during sleep. As a result, the patient stops breathing and the brain becomes deprived of oxygen. The brain wakes the patient up suddenly to start the breathing process. Patients may be woken up hundreds of times in a single night.
2. True. In addition to frequent snoring, sleep apnea symptoms include: daytime drowsiness, irritability, an inability to focus, waking up choking or gasping for air, and depression.
3. True. If left untreated, sleep apnea elevates a patient’s risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke, and depression.
4. True. Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom may recommend a special oral appliance. Similar to a mouth guard, this intraoral device repositions the jaw to allow unencumbered breathing. Patients breathe freely and experience a decrease in sleep apnea symptoms.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston General Dentists
Do you suffer from one or more symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea? Interested in our minimally invasive and comfortable sleep apnea treatment? Then contact yourLivingston general dentists today. Drs. David and Gary Silverstrom want to help you obtain the rest you need. In addition, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.